Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Hall of Teen Records

Damn, due to some internet problems, I haven't been able to post this week. So I give you Teen Records of the 70s. In 1976 the Sylvers hit the charts with "Boogie Fever." Cute little Foster had a sweet voice. However I remember being highly disturbed by the Sylver's outfits, especially the girls. I wasn't sure why they had crinkly silver gift wrap for shirts. It doesn't look comfortable and the girl in front has hers tied in a knot, which I thought would probably let go due to the slick silver texture.

But by far the most distressing bit of the cover is that the hairstyle on the girl standing on the right makes it appear that she has been scalped. I stared at the top of her head every time I played the record. I'm still emotionally scarred by it.
Rosetta Stone were in the teen mags because Ian Mitchell (in the center) was briefly in the Bay City Rollers. Hmmm five Scottish lads playing rocknroll aimed at teens? Why does that sound familiar? I bought this album at Zayres and remember being surprised to find it because I doubt it sold to anyone in the US other than BCR fans that remembered Ian. Anyone who liked BCR would probably like Rosetta Stone.

The Bugaloos were so cool. They got to drive around in this weird car, talk to flowers, fly, and they had their own band! I didn't like evil Benita Bizarre, but I thought Funky Rat was fascinating - except his eyes which were kind of creepy.
"When it's time to change, then it's time to change." That Greg Brady was a genius. I also liked young Greg's ballad that began with the Shakespearean couplet, 'Clowns never laughed before, beanstalks never grew, ponies never ran before, til there was you." Sheer poetry. I was so disappointed when "Time to Change" was a straight version of the song without Peter's cracking puberty vocals.

Gotta love Shaun Cassidy. Well I suppose you don't, but he was cute, had nice teeth, solved mysteries every week, and even got to perform his music while playing the younger Hardy. I had a huge crush on Shaun, and put his pin ups on my wall. If you look closely, there seem to be traces of a unibrow, which is not a good selling point for a teen idol.

7 comments:

Jimmy said...

Boy, she does look scalped. It takes a special hairdo to stand out in that crowd.

I did some nostalgic web surfing the other night, and I stumbled across Ian Mitchell's website. The other Rollers are showing their age, but ol' Ian looks like he could be a movie star.

I will admit that I, a hetrosexual male, had this Shaun Cassidy album as a kid. Hey, he was a Hardy Boy, after all, investigating vampires and the Bermuda Triangle and whatnot. Plus, if I remember right, this was mostly an album of cover tunes. Oh well, I was sick of school and didn't know what I wanted to do . . .

Chris Jart said...

Did you by a guitar, and get the fever, that's rocknroll? Because I think that's what happened to most kids who were sick of school.

Great googley moogley! BCR look their age, which probably isn't bad for a man on the street, but makes them look amazingly rough after having only seen them in 1970s teen pics. Same thing for Rosetta Stone.

I guess even teen idol grow up, gain weight, get jowls, grow beard stubble, and lose their hair. Ian looks good for his age, but I liked the babyface appearance of the 70s. I suppose that's not realistic for a grown man though, is it.

CrushedDreams said...

A few years ago one of the BCR's (who is now a nurse) saved a fellow from drowning himself. When the guy tried to say how bad his life was, the Roller popped off with " I used to be in the bay City Rollers..." which tickled the fellow so much he got to laughing after just having tried to kill himself...because at least his life wasn't THAT bad. Can't remember which Roller it was though....
There are like 3 acts on the road calling themselves the Rollers now (one has like 3 original members)...if you think the band members look scarey....look at the FANS...!

Chris Jart said...

I believe Derek is the one who became a nurse. Why do I feel like I know too much by saying that? Yes, the fans.... just like everyone else, getting older and perhaps not aging well. I've looked at the pictures of some of the fan fests and many look like middle aged suburban housewives - which is probably what they are.

I have always wondered how these fan fests get former teen idols to appear at them. I mean, how do you even find their contact info, and then how do you convince them that this is a good idea? Also, how many suburban housewives go insane, scream like teenyboppers, and become obsessed with the objects of their teenage affection?

Jimmy said...

I see that Ian Mitchell is coming to Omaha with his version of the Rollers. Perhaps you'd like me to get you an autographed picture??

Chris Jart said...

Aaaiiieeeee!!! (screaming, crying, fainting commences). Do you think if you asked him for an autograph, he'd think it was for you? It seems like the only people at the Roller conventions are women.

Jimmy said...

Well, I wasn't able to make it to Ian's Roller concert. However, if I'm ever single again, I know where I can meet women my age . . .