Monday, June 12, 2006

It's the Incredible Hulk...except he's underwater and sort of a fish

When the promtional writeup for the show starts off, "Mark Harris has an expressionless face and speaks in stilted phrases," you know you're in for a long ride. I think I only knew one kid who watched this show, which probably explains why it was cancelled the first season.

Mark is supposedly a survivor from the lost city of Atlantis. I know what you're thinking. But how could a waterlogged, ancient fishman make a living in todays modern world? Well they've thought of everything because Mark "..is employed by a national-security foundation that plunges him into perilous missions to foil mad scientists' diabolical schemes."

Damn! Why do the national security guys always get first dibs on the superhuman plankton eating fishmen? Do we really need a blank faced frogboy with an awkward monotone to fight mad scientists and their diabolical schemes? I think not!

5 comments:

Jimmy said...

I remember this show. I also remember my brother and I trying to mimic his undulating swimming style. I thought it was so cool that he was from Atlantis.

Anonymous said...

I loved The Man from Atlantis! Haven't thought about it in years, though, so thanks for the reminder. Wonder if I can find any bootleg video recordings anywhere...

Bubblegumfink said...

Hi Chris,
I love this show. To your readers- the series can be purchased on DVD on eBay, and there were a handful of paperbacks released. I think a great drinking game would be to drink every time someone on the show expresses shock or awe at gratuitous shots of the skin between Patrick Duffy's thumb and index finger.

Chris Jart said...

I couldn't bear to watch this as a kid, but I caught the end of an episode a few years ago and loved it! It was just like the Hulk, CHiPs and all those 70s shows.

I had no idea the series was on DVD. I've got to track it down. It amuses me no end to think of the gratuitous shots of the webbed thumb/index finger.

Cathy said...

I love watching this TV show