Friday, August 19, 2005

I will give you $100 for the one bubblegum card I'm missing















I loved the 1974 Planet of the Apes tv series. When they came out with bubblegum cards, I was determined to get the whole set. Every time my mom went to the mall, I would beg to be taken to Woolworths. The candy counter was the only place that I knew of that carried these bubblegum cards. I would buy three or four packs each time.

I finally got to the point where I had all but one card, and I just couldn't get it. For weeks I dutifully bought packs of cards and I never got the one missing card. My brother's friend got it, but he wouldn't trade it to me - bastard! So finally in a fit of desperation, I saved up some money and bought 20 packs of cards. The candy counter girl looked at me like I was insane. But I got the card I needed. In fact, I got about five of them. I ended up with three complete sets of cards, plus a huge stack of extras.

2 comments:

Staci said...

which one of my friends was it??? And how the Hell do you remember this shit? Which card was it?? Was I in my room reading as usual the entire time?

Chris Jart said...

Johnny, I don't know where you were. Probably hiding under your bed screaming in fear, as you always were. As for how do I remember? For some reason, my mind is filled with useless information that will get me nowhere in life. Yet this useless info is quite useful for explaining why I still have a wrapper from the 1974 Planet of the Apes bubblegum cards.

I also remember the following:
the card - #2, Comdr. Alan Virdon
the friend - Mike
I did actually have to look at the card to get it's name, but it was card #2. You don't buy 20 packs of cards and forget which card you needed....you NEVER forget...dun dun DAH! Mike doesn't know it, but I'm going to track him down and make him pay